Sunday, January 10, 2010

RSV? Yeah, You Know Me.

We survived! We survived RSV. Ziggy now has this air of confidence about him. He CAN do this. We CAN do this. Shelby is alive and we did it.

The snot of last week quickly progressed into RSV by Tuesday of this week. A doctor visit, an ER visit and several sleepless nights and we made it.

Shelby is staying home from daycare for another day or two because she still has a cough and isn't back to her full eating schedule, but she's well. I owe her wellness to several things.

First, I cannot sing enough accolades to Graco for inventing the battery operated nasal aspirator. Oh. My. God. GET ONE! GO! NOW! GET ONE! You need this thing. You can't live without it. We spent frustrated hours hurting Shelby with bulb nose aspirators getting nowhere fast. The Graco battery operated one is a godsend. Every baby shower that I go to from now until I die, the woman WILL get one of these from me.

Second, I have to applaud Ziggy. His meticulous OCD nature really helped get me through this. He gave our daughter exceptional care and not once skipped a dose of meds or a nose suck or an attempt at feeding. He took night shifts equally with me as he saw me quickly decline into a state of madness from sleep deprivation and worry. He. Was. Awesome. I'm so proud of him. And he's earned his "badge" now for surviving his first infant illness and you can almost see that he is more confident now with her.

Third, I have to applaud Luke. He stepped up BIG TIME. He emptied dryers. Folded towels. Went without attention. He held my hand while I had a mini nervous breakdown on Wednesday night when we couldn't get her fever down and couldn't get her to stop screaming. He slept through screaming and nervous parents pacing past his door. He ate pizza rolls and Cane's for a week since there was no time to cook. He endured the scent of Lysol for days as his paranoid mother sprayed every inch of the house daily. He was such a trooper.

Lastly, and I can't believe I'm doing this, but I have to applaud my MIL who stepped in and provided us with hours and hours of help so that we could work or get away for a bit to run errands. My mother also stepped in and helped hugely, but that's a given...she always does that.

So, she isn't 100%, but she's close. The light at the end of the RSV tunnel is in sight.

No comments: