Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ball Hairs and General Updates

It's official, Luke has nut hair. As horrifying as that sounds, experiencing it is even worse.

We've noticed him "fiddling" ALOT more with his man parts. And when I say ALOT, I mean that if he doesn't have pants on and is in his boxers, then his hand is on his weiner. We've begun discussing appropriate behaviors and how some intimate fondling should be reserved to our bedrooms. We've also installed a TV in his room so that some of his rest time/fondling time can be done in private.

Last month he announced that when his "bird gets bigger, there's a big blue vein in it." Then he announced to me in the car a couple weeks ago that he has nut hairs. Just a random, oh by the way, type of notification on both occasions. I was half proud that I've obviously done well thus far at raising him to feel comfortable telling me ANYTHING, and half mortified that he chose me to share this with. He asked me to look at it for him, and although I admit that I was SOOOO curious, I left this one to his father. (And shut up, because you'd be curious too!)

Via text message on Sunday night, I got the confirmation from ex that our son's once silky smooth sac, is indeed, now covered in peach fuzz that is of a thicker nature than leg hair. He says it's blonde and slight, but definitely there and a noticeable difference than the sac of 6 months ago.

So I frantically consulted Dr. Google. (Side note, if the FBI ever confiscates my computer, I will probably be incarcerated now due to my vulgar Dr. Google searches.) See, my little boy is only about to turn 9. This is not supposed to happen yet, right? RIGHT??

Nope. It's totally normal. According to Dr. Google, the average age for boys to begin having wet dreams is now as early as 10, with 9 being considered normal also and 11 being the median. Girls are beginning to menstruate (I said, menstruate...haha) as early as 10 also with some spotting beginning at 9. GAH!!! Are you fucking kidding me? A chat with a pediatric nurse I know of confirmed it all for me also.

While I'm comforted to know that my son is not some abnormally maturing freak, I'm still appalled that we are here in this place ALREADY. So this is what prompted us into trying to encourage him to seek out a little privacy. We are asking him to start closing the door when he uses the bathroom and I'm not sitting and chatting with him during his baths anymore (he takes showers now anyway, sniff sniff - and he even asked for man shampoo this week, and I almost cried while buying him a bottle of Erick's brand instead of his normal Johnson's kids' foam wash).

While I miss our openness and feeling of joy while prancing around naked all over the house, I know that it's healthier and better for him to not be stroking his pecker in the living room next to me while we watch Spongebob, even if he still doesn't know the meaning of it all yet - it's not cute boy fiddling anymore - it could lead to a goal VERY soon, if you know what I mean and his mother should NOT be next to him if/when he figures out the goal.

So other than my son's nuts, lots is happening. The baby's room is DONE! Ziggy finished all of the furniture tonight and it's all set up and we catch ourselves just walking in there to stare at it all. Ziggy never had a baby, and I lived in a one bedroom apartment when I had Luke, so the actual nursery is new for the both of us.

We made a big decision to save $300 on a ridiculous crib bedding set that the baby never uses anyway and we're using Luke's that I meticulously packed away, so it looks like new anyway. I chose his theme before I knew his gender, so while we both feel that the theme is maybe a bit masculine for a possible girl, for the sake of not wasting $300 and also making Luke feel special over his stuff being used for the baby, we've opted for the hand me down since everything else thus far is brand new. Many of my new mom friends don't "get" this concept. My seasoned mom friends normally shout an "amen, sistah" at me when asked about the bedding choice.

I bought a bottle of Dreft to wash Luke's set tonight so I could put them on and take pics, even though I know after sitting for 12 - 15 weeks, they'll need another washing prior to the baby actually using them. Let me tell you, when I opened the bottle of Dreft and took that first sniff, it was like...oh my god...it was like I was transported 8 years back and Luke as an infant was in the next room. The scent of that stuff is powerful. I don't recommend sniffing it unless you are really prepared for the emotions that come with it...seriously. A year ago, I may have slit my wrists from the scent and the fertility issues and the longings and all that jazz.

So that's the happenings of the moment. Lots else going on with in law drama and work drama and renovations drama - but I'll get to that later.

No comments: