Thursday, November 13, 2008

FIRE!

My husband and I are not wealthy, however, we made a decision (more his decision than mine) that we would spend our youth sacrificing some luxuries to purchase property and then eventually perhaps be able to retire early and hopefully wealthy.

So we own a bit of property. I don't tell people often because they immediately put the "oh they're rich" label on us and we ARE NOT RICH. Trust me people. We live pay check to pay check just like everyone. The difference is that we choose to forfeit many vacations or furniture that actually matches or desperately needed renovations on our home for the pursuit of early retirement.

We own 5 condo type townhouses. Four of them are in one square building unit and are two story and about 1000 sq ft and we own it in partnership with a friend of Ziggy's...so I guess technically, we own 2 of the 4. The fifth is my townhouse that I bought when Luke was 2 and lived in until we bought our current house last year.

We rent all 5 out and net about $200 more a month than the total bills - so like I said - we ain't rich because most of that $200 winds up going back into the places in repairs.

That's the background, now here's the story. All day I was bemoaning the "Pregnant Man's" second pregnancy that occurred so quickly after his first. I was angrier at God than I would like to admit. I focused on it all day, feeling forgotten by my Creator or punished or ignored. It was probably unhealthy exactly how angry I was. I mean, why HIM when there is a real woman inside and out who is begging and pleading with every cell in her body to have a baby? Why is he better or more deserving than me?

So what did God do? Nah, he sure didn't let me be pregnant, but He did remind me that He is still there and still looking out for me. My old house, touwnhouse # 4 caught on fire tonight. Our tenant, God Bless Her, was home at the time and was able to call the fire department and everything is fine and they are still in the home as we speak.

It was obviously an electrical fire, the firemen told us, and they refused to leave until we had an electrician there. THANK GOD, Luke's coach is...you guessed it...an electrician! He was coaching my son's game, but he had a buddy of his there before my husband could even get there.

It turns out that it was the fan in the air conditioning unit and the air condition needs to be repaired. Lo and behold, coach again came through and has an a/c guy meeting us at 8:00am tomorrow morning. It was the smoothest running disaster of my life and that's when I exhaled and said, "oh yeah, thanks God, I see you, I hear you and I'm an ass for doubting you and sorry about that. And Oh! Can we talk about that baby now?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome. i mean, not the fire and all, just that everything worked/is working out in the fall-out. at least it's not july too right? should be easier to get the a/c taken care of?

glad you're all ok. hope that you don't decide to....um...."thank" the coach. smooches! -lan

Aunt Becky said...

Crazy how that worked out. So glad everyone is okay.