Sunday, March 22, 2009

Husband for Rent

I have a husband for rent if anyone wants him. My husband normally delivers the newspapers for the Times Picayune 2 or 3 nights a week. This gives us a really good cash flow each month and is always a back up for his spending issues. It basically allows us to still live comfortably even during tougher times and has allowed him the opportunity of pursuing his dream with a friend of buying rental properties - since we couldn't afford that dream without the newspaper money.

Of course it's screwed up our weekends for the past 2 years. I've become used to attending daytime weekend events without him and being sad about that, and having enough alone quiet time to drive me to drink with him sleeping until 4:00 to catch up on being up all night and Luke being at his dad's house.

Well, God has decided to bless us with a little higher salaries than we are used to along with a few other financial blessings. With that and the new baby coming and the list of incomplete household projects unfinished, my husband and I decided to drop the newspaper delivery down to one night a week.

Add that fact to a new medicine regime from his psychiatrist that is working remarkably well and has him more normal than I've ever known him to be, and well, I am exhausted.

He's so full of energy on the weekends now and is often up out of bed before me just tapping his toes waiting for me to get up. This is VERY new for us. Gone are my mornings of silence. Gone are my lunches of silence. They are now filled with trips to Lowe's to give my opinions on the next project he is tackling.

While this has been wonderful in many ways, I'm just so freaking exhausted. I've spent 2 years having my weekends during the school year almost 80% to myself and now I'm having maybe an hour or two to myself with the sound of a saw or a drill in the background anyway.

Last month he replaced all of our exterior light fixtures. This month he is replacing all of our 6 ceiling fans from the 1980's and has plans to completely overhaul the bushes in the front yard that I loathe and create the garden I've dreamed about. He's got pictures and plans and cost estimates and he wants to talk and bond and spend time together.

Just 6 months ago I would have literally killed for this man to become like this and now I'm contemplating a weekend in the hotel down the street and lying and saying that I had to go out of town for work just so that I can have some quiet again.

While it is wonderful to see our dilapidating house finally get some very needed attention and it is fabulous to actually get to know my baby's father again...I'm thinking of renting him out for a day during the weekend.

Just a reminder to always be conscious of what you're wishing for. My house is loving it and for the most part, so am I...but come on...please let me take a nap!

1 comment:

Aunt Becky said...

I would happily rent him for a couple of weeks. I need some things done around the house and Daver is always at work.