Sunday, September 28, 2008

My new enemy, Charley

For about the past month now, I have woken up 5 out of 7 nights with excruciating Charley Horses in my calves...sometimes just one calf and sometimes both. I cannot pin point the reason.

According to Dr. Google, these occur either from dehydration or lack of potassium. I checked my vitamins - they contain 100% of the daily recommended value for potassium, so I'm good there. I drink ALOT and I actually drink a lot of water or water-esque drinks. I looked up my Rx's (metformin and Clomid) and I can't find anything about either one causing Charley Horses or causing a potassium deficiency.

I'm perplexed. Any ideas? Any suggestions? Old wives tales? Miracle tonics? Assvice? I'm open ears!

Other than that, all is quiet on the homefront - I have ALOT of chores to accomplish before my son returns from his dad's house, including setting up the Halloween white trash lawn ornaments that he has begged for us to buy for two years...we bought them this weekend to surprise him. So I'm just all over the place.

I've had no chance of truly creating life this cycle just yet - Ziggy had the anxiety problem last night and after a half hour I was just too tired to keep going so we quit for the night. SOOOOO frustrating. EVERY ovulation week is exactly like this and then he's perfect for the entire rest of the month. However, it was a really good time and we actually bonded and talked for a while after (I cried) and it was a nice evening anyway (*note-NOT easy to find bright sides in this*)

According to the OV Watch manual, I had a 13% chance if we had sex last night and then I have a 13% chance today, a 28% chance tomorrow, a 26% chance on Tuesday and then a 5% chance on Wednesday (actual ovulation day). So I'm not out - not by a long shot - yet - but dang it, if I could just get a shot or two of the good stuff in there, I sure would be feeling much more hopeful.

Last night's all you can eat bbq and cabbage ball was a bust. The "all you can eat bbq" turned out to be a few hamburgers that were gone by time we arrived, because Ziggy forces us to be fashionably late everywhere we go - he's a total chic. So we had to eat weiners. The cabbageball turned out to be volleyball, and my crush, Coach, was fighting with his wife, and decided to just get drunk and hang out with other Coaches. Truly no fun was to be had.

So bring on the Charley Horse suggestions if you have any and please keep on keeping on with the conception prayers/vibes/chants - whatever you've got.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sodium? i don't know if it's not enough or too much but i know that your sodium and potassium need to be in balance (i can't remember if it's 1:1 or 2:1 but i'm sure you can dr.google). point is, if your sodium intake is high and potassium intake is average, you will still be not getting enough potassium because they negate one another. cereal, lean cuisines and lots o stuff that's typically thought of as healthy usually have way too much sodium. if you're into (in to?) label reading, i believe you're supposed to make sure that the sodium milligrams are not higher than the number of calories. what the hell do i know? smooches!

Aunt Becky said...

I get them too every now and again. Often without reason, and always in succession. Like I'll have 'em for a month and then they'll be gone. I'm all ears for any suggestions.