Thursday, January 8, 2009

Weird chic

Tonight some of the playground moms were getting together at a local bar to get out of the house while our men and boys watched the BCS Championship game at home. Since the moment I got off of work, I was formulating excuses to get out of it. I'm not a big fan of bars, especially sports bars during a major football game and I'm not a really chit chatty human at all. "Girls night out" never thrilled me.

At about 6:20pm, I finally gave in and decided that I had to go and I went. There was a woman there that I had never met before. She was somehow a second cousing twice removed or something of another friend there. She also had an 8 year old son, so we all got into to talking pretty easily.

Her mother had just died via suicide two days before Christmas so much of the conversation began to center around topics of a spiritual nature...she obviously needed comforting and we were more than happy to oblige for this friendly new friend we had just acquired.

While talking, my friend asked me quietly to the side if I had ovulated yet this month. She spent 4 years and 4 miscarriages trying to have a second child so she shares a similar pain and is always interested in my journey. As soon as she asked me, new stranger friend gasped and said, "OH MY GOD YOU'RE TRYING TO HAVE A BABY?!?!?!" I was like, um, yeah, while secretly plotting my escape from this sudden turn of events that had placed me at the center of the conversation.

She rushed over to me and started saying, "I swear that I have never ever ever done anything like this in my life and I swear I'm not drunk, I swear I'm not crazy, but I just absolutely HAVE to touch you."

So...she did. She made me stand up and right there, in the middle of the bar I had a woman that I had never met in my life take my hands and pray...out loud...a prayer for conception this cycle.

Um.

Yeah.

I wasn't sure if I should be happy, or if I should run away screaming, "STRANGER DANGER".

She then sat next to me and spent the next half hour telling me that she has always believed that when one dies, another is born. Since her mother just died, she thought she would get pregnant this month even though she wasn't trying, and her period had just started and at the very second that my friend mentioned me trying to make a baby, she just knew that her mom was telling her, "HER, IT'S HER" and that she just had to touch me.

Um.

Yeah.

So, here I am a few hours later mulling these events over in my head. Half of me thinks she's the weirdest woman on earth and should be hospitalized or at the very least, medicated heavily.

The other half of me is touched by the love and warmth that this total stranger showed me tonight and can't help but think of the stranger man in church years ago who told me that I would become a mother in the year 2000 only 2 months before I tested positive for Luke and at that time I thought that HE was a wacko too.

Anyway, so that's it - I'm not sure what to think about it right now, but it happened and it is what it is, or whatever you perceive it to be.

But I swear, if I conceive this month, I swear I will fall to my knees and believe that some strange prophetic person came to me in that bar the same way that one came to me in church in January of 2000.

2 comments:

KristenWiley said...

Thank you so much for the encouragement. We are trying so hard to focus on the positive, but sometimes I just want to cry. I hope that January IS your month!! I already love your blog, and can totally relate to the bearded lady. I have several symptoms of PCOS, but the worst by far is the errant hairs. (I constantly pluck, too) It sucks. So thank you for the post as well. I am not alone, and do not need to join a sideshow. Good Luck on ttc-ing!

Aunt Becky said...

See, I'm not a hugely SIGNS person, but I think I'd be taking this one as one. Pretty cool stuff, man.